Featured post

COVID-19 Hotlines

The following hotlines (phones staffed during office hours) may be of help: tech support it.hotline@isl.sch.zm 0211250364 school nu...

Thursday 2 September 2021

Year 13 CAS flashback

 

Looking back on IB1, it was a rollercoaster of emotions, with many ups and downs, as well as the bit where you become a little physically nauseated, yep, that too! But I can certainly say that I am not the same person coming off the ride as I was when I originally stepped onto it. Of course, there have been numerous hurdles, the most notable of which being the Covid-19 Pandemic, which brought the world to its knees and drove us all into isolation and online-schooling. Which I would say was a new experience for both teachers and students, and it has truly been a one-of-a-kind journey. 

Since we were forced to isolate ourselves due to the rapidly spreading virus that flooded the streets, we had to devise our own safe ways to undertake community service. That is when the inspiration to design handmade masks hit me and I spent a few weeks figuring out how to use the sewing machine with all of its knobs, cords and unwieldy threads. Next, I pitched the proposal to my classmates, and we formed a team to learn how to make enough masks to distribute to individuals in impoverished areas to help protect them from the virus. We had several bloody fingers, broken equipment, and turmoil in the air, so the mask production line did not happen easily. However, we produced almost 200 masks over the course of four months and seeing the joyful eyes of the residents at UTH public hospital made our souls sing, which is why we do CAS. By making these masks we have been able to connect with the world and widen our social circle. With every mask we have created, we have felt joy in the effort to try and help even one vulnerable member of the community. 

Community service not only offered me a motivation to serve others, but instead it gave me the courage to mature as a person. CAS assisted me in strengthening my bonds to the community and broadening my support system by exposing me to people with common values who assisted me to understand who I am as a person. I broke down my tough exterior shell, revealing my limitations and strengths in the process. One of the major feelings of Covid is the sense of helplessness, however, through this mask making project we stopped feeling quite helpless and had joined in the fight for humanity even if just a little bit. The major takeaways from this year are that nothing is certain and the importance of caring about our fellow humans. Henceforth we should seize every opportunity to support the community around us, and with the IB CAS program we are able to broaden our horizons, enhance our skills, and increase our self-value, which empowers us to explore a deeper relationship with society at large. 

Ashiana Dhudia



No comments:

Post a Comment