As this is our first official blog entry, I’d like to introduce who we are and what it is that we do (and don’t do!) here at ISL. Unlike some schools, the PTA does not have any sort of managerial role. We are all volunteers, the executive committee is elected from among members each year, and positions are held for one year (Dec - Dec). We have three main roles in the school community. First, to make the school a better place for students, teachers and parents alike. The PTA supports a wide range of social events throughout the year, all of which help us to connect as a school community. Second, the PTA raises funds to make the school a better place. With input from various stakeholders, we fund projects that improve our built environment for everyone’s benefit. The PTA is non-profit, and all the money we generate is invested right back into the school. And Third, the PTA provides an open platform for any Association members to raise any issues they have on their mind - the PTA may not have all the answers, but we are able to steer your good ideas in the right direction, and we’ll try to usher your concerns to the appropriate channels.
We hold meetings every month and they’re always open to all parents and teachers. At the meetings, we discuss ongoing PTA fundraising and social initiatives, give voice to concerns and ideas, and strategise for future PTA initiatives. We will always send out an email a few days before the meeting to make sure you’re aware, and we’ll include that meeting’s agenda. If you are unable to attend, but still want to receive the minutes after, just let us know. Recently, we have held the meetings at 7:15am, just after drop-off, though we are considering revising the time or adding a second meeting time to accommodate more parents and teachers. If you have a suggestion, please do let us know. We would love to see you there.
A few quick facts about YOUR PTA:
- Did you know that the PTA holds a monthly market day in the primary carpark and secondary amphitheatre where you can get tasty food, organic vegetables, books, cupcakes, and more? Our next Market day is the 30th of August (next Friday!).
- Did you know that last year the PTA raised over ZMW300,000 which we reinvested right back into the school? Look around, the PTA funded the modular stage, mukwa benches, shading around the sports fields, the covered veranda by the tuckshop, the bleachers by the covered area, and A/V equipment.
- Did you know that every year, the PTA funds 13 exceptional students from the Chasdale School to continue their secondary education, including school fees, uniforms, and stationary?
- Did you know the PTA holds a series of social events throughout the year to help build and strengthen our school community? These include the Welcome Braii, movie night, camping night, cardboard boat racing, and adult social evenings.
- Did you know the PTA lends support to school management and has given feedback on communication strategies, anti-bullying policy development, and at Board of Governors standing committees?
Please join us -- the PTA is what we as a community decide to make it. We would love to see you at our meetings or getting involved in some of our initiatives. Whatever your passion or expertise, we hope you get involved.
All the best from the PTA Executive Committee,
Jannie Armstrong (PTA Chair)
Leda Sommerville (PTA Vice-Chair)
Sarah Jacobsz (PTA Secretary)
Judith Moraa (PTA Treasurer)